Friday, February 6, 2009

Young Womens Program

Just letting you know how New Beginnings went. I talked to one of my friends before the evening started and made arrangements for her to call and text me through out the evening. She did exactly that, I was getting so many dirty looks! Even Autumn, who was conducting, kept telling me to turn it off. My part wasn't until about the end of the program. I got up and started explaining what we do on Wednesday nights, when my friend called me. I got the phone out and pretended to talk to someone telling them that I was right in the middle of an important meeting. Everyone was like what the heck is she doing? After a few more rules, I brought the phone out again and explained how disrespectful it is to be texting during a lesson that the advisor had been trying to teach. I explained that I have a phone basket that has a suckers in it. If they give me the phone before the lesson starts they get the candy. It has been working out pretty well. I give them the phone back after class. Even the Stake President liked the idea when I told him about it!
After the program was over, the adults were quite impressed with how I presented my talk. So I guess it went really well. I stressed out for nothing!

5 comments:

aprilhoyt said...

I think it's great that you did that!! I think sometimes kids don't realize they're being rude, unless they see the action in someone else!! Good Job!!! I think when they sell cel phones, they need to give out a list of phone etiquette!! (I've called my dad and he answered IN A MOVIE)!!!

BrImHaLl FaMiLy said...

I was there and felt a little stressed out by it all! ha ha
It was kind of fun watching.

KaNdRa and JaReD said...

I can't believe the kids these days!! I'm glad that you did that. They needed to be taught a lesson.

Donna/Mom said...

That is such a great idea. You are an awesome teacher. The girls are so lucky to have you. I wish I still had you in RS. I am so lonely. I have a really hard time staying.

Living Lavallee said...

Good idea! I'm newly in YW as well, and apparently there have been texting issues in the past, but so far they are keeping it under the radar.